Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Hostel

Well, I consider myself a huge fan of the disturbing/horror/what the hell did i just watch -genre of movies. I was told by so many people that they didn't like the movie HOSTEL, so it took me a while to get around to seeing it. I can say now that I am really pleased with the movie over-all. I just wish that Eli Roth would of come up with more substance for the first 45 minutes of the film instead of it being a big skin flick. To be even more specific about this genre, I absolutely love the Revenge movies. Hostel ended up being just that and is leaps and bounds ahead of Eli's first movie CABIN FEVER.---->
Now don't get me wrong, Cabin Fever-which pays homage to EVIL DEAD-turned out to be an enjoyable one for me as well. Have some friends over,throw back a few High Lifes, and throw these two on. Here is a great review from someone on netflix:
" This is a horror movie that will scare many people from ever traveling to Europe - a lot like "Midnight Express" did in the late 70's. The director says he found a website that advertised itself as a "murder vacation," offering users the chance to torture and kill someone for the price of $10,000. This creates the premise for the movie. As Americans, we feel that everyone speaks English – even when overseas. This movie makes a great use of characters speaking “foreign” languages right in front of our main actors (9 languages are spoken in this film – with no subtitles). This helps allude to the fears of the unknown. And once the violence begins, if you have not witnessed a Takaski Miike film (who makes a cameo here), it might be overwhelming. This film will be remembered as one of the great American horror movies. It takes equal parts of modern J-Horror & Italian Giallo, and the “real life” gore of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

Buy from Critics Choice Video:
icon
icon


icon
icon

Or rent: Netflix, Inc.

No comments:

Movielink, LLC

technorati

statcounter